Friday, June 6, 2008

Road to Everest.


Oh mann. The passion to go up to the top of the world is growing day-by-day! I recently found out that the youngest climber from Malaysia and South-east-Asia was 21 when I reached the peak of Mt. Everest. I'm only 16 turning 17 now, finishing my diploma, so if I take next year off to train physically and mentally. I'll be 18+ when I climb Everest. Even if I don't make it, I'll be the youngest from SEA and Malaysia to "try" climbing Mt. Everest.

Anyways, here's my plan so far (not approved by my parents yet:P)

Nov 08- Mt. Sinai, Israel

Jan 09- Mt.Kinabalu via Ferrata

Feb 09- Train for ALERT

March to May 09- ALERT training. ALERT stands for Air Land Emergency Resource Team. It involves hard core military style training that includes a 24-hike, a series of fitness tests and survival camps.

June 09- Start searching for sponsors for the Mt. Everest climb and training climbs which would probably include Mt. Kilimanjaro (tallest mountain in Africa and tallest freestanding mountain in the world), Mt. Cook in New Zealand and the local Gunung Tahan in Pahang and Mt. Kinabalu in Sabah


July 09- Take rock climbing and ice climbing courses

August 09- Mt. Kilimanjaro climb

October 09- Mt. Cook climb

December 09- Gunung (mt.) Tahan climb

Jan 09- Mt. Kinabalu climb

Feb 09- finalize sponsors and donors

March 09- train, train, train

April 09- Health check-ups.

May 09- Journey to the top of the world: Mt. Everest

There's only one question I wish could be answered. How would you know if you're fit enough for Everest?

And here's my motivation to conquer Mt. Everest: from the famous quote

"mountain as high, that no bird can fly over it"


Picturing Me.

Finally, well, everything has the bad side. So, here's a video titled: Dying for Everest


Ok, this is going to be kinda random. But somehow, I can't wait to get to the Base Camp in Kathmandu and tell myself: "Ok Paul, its the last chance to turn back." or "remember 1 in every 6 died on the mountain in 2003" and still have the mental ability to go for it!

Final thoughts: I'll only be 18+ when I climb mt. Everest. After conquering it, I think it'll be a great mental boost to do anything in the future. Whether its business, photography or living the life.

No comments: